NRA Pistol Instructor
Our NRA Pistol Instructor Training course is designed to develop NRA Certified Instructors who possess the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to conduct the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course. NRA Pistol Instructor Training begins with our NRA Basic Instructor Training class, which must be successfully completed first. Both classes together form the required course for NRA Pistol Instructor certification. (You are not considered an NRA Certified Instructor until the NRA Training Department processes your application and issues your instructor credentials.)
NRA Pistol Instructor certification is a requirement for becoming a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) Instructor in Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Missouri, and many other states. Remember that the individual states decide all matters relating to their CHP programs including whether, when, and to whom they issue Instructor certificates. You must apply directly to your state and meet its requirements for certification as a CHP instructor.
From time to time we offer a weekend special course package that includes NRA Basic Instructor Training followed by the NRA Pistol Instructor Pre Course Qualification test and the start of the NRA Pistol Instructor Training class all on a Saturday, and continues the NRA Pistol Instructor Training class and related matters the next day, on Sunday. Other times we will package the course with the CRSO certification and add Friday to the package to get the full package recommended for a Concealed Carry Instructor.
To get your NRA Pistol Instructor Training certification you must:
- successfully complete our NRA Basic Instructor Training class;
- attend the NRA Pistol Instructor class, an NRA Pre-Course Questionnaire, and payment of the current class fee;
- achieve satisfactory scores in an NRA Pistol Instructor Pre Course Qualification assessment
- demonstrate on an ongoing basis the knowledge, skills, and attitude that we consider appropriate for an NRA Pistol Instructor candidate.
- Achieve a score of 90% or higher on the Pistol Instructor Training examination.
Any failure to practice gun safety is grounds for disqualification and dismissal.
The Basic Pistol Shooting Course Student Exam is an open book test based on The NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting, which is the student text for the NRA Basic Pistol class. The exam is the very same exam required of students in that class. We provide that book to pistol instructor candidates who take the Pre-Course Qualification test.
All NRA instructor training courses consist of four elements: an Instructor Pre Course Qualification test in that specific discipline, The NRA Basic Instructor Training class is Lessons I-V of every course and the discipline-specific class is the second part of that two-part course and begins with Lesson VI. We also cover the student course that you will be teaching.
An NRA Pistol Instructor Training class begins right after NRA Basic Instructor Training stops: with Lesson VI.
Then NRA Pistol Instructor Training proceeds through eight lessons that teach you how to conduct the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course step by step using the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Outline and Lesson Plans, and how to
teach pistol shooting on a basic level. NRA Pistol Instructor Training concludes with the Pistol Instructor Examination and other preliminaries to certification by the NRA.
We help you learn you what you need to know for success as an NRA Pistol Instructor and we help you apply your knowledge, skills, and attitude to teaching your own classes successfully. Photographs on this page show just a few aspects of how we teach a typical NRA Pistol Instructor class. First we teach you how to coach a student firing the first shots. Then we supervise you as you do an actual coaching session with a student firing those first shots. We explain, demonstrate, and guide you through what you need as a first rate certified Pistol Instructor.
Here are the lessons in the NRA Pistol Instructor Training class:
- Introduction to “NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Outline and Lesson Plans”
- Teaching “Pistol Lesson I: Pistol Knowledge and Safe Handling”
- Teaching “Pistol Lesson II: Ammunition Knowledge and the Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting”
- Basic Pistol Shooting Instructional Method
- Teaching “Pistol Lesson III: Firing the First Shots”
- Teaching “Pistol Lesson IV: Scoring Targets and Selecting and Maintaining a Pistol”
- Evaluating and Improving Performance of Beginning Pistol Shooters
- Teaching “Pistol Lesson V: Continued Opportunities for Skill Development”
Here are currently scheduled NRA Pistol Instructor Training classes in the Nebraska Shooters area. We add classes throughout the year. If you do not find a satisfactory class date on this schedule you can reserve a place on the waiting list for a future class.
Email us now if you’re interested in attending an NRA Pistol Instructor Training class. We talk with prospective students first. Please be sure to include your telephone number(s) so we can call to prequalify you for the class, determine your needs, and answer your questions.
- Friday Fun Shoot 9-29-17
- CCW- Arnold 9-30-17
- Friday Fun Shoot 10-6-17
- CCW- Arnold 10-14-17
- CCW- Ogallala-10-22-17
- Sesostris Fun Shoot
- Basic Pistol Phase II 11-10-17
- NRA Pistol Instructor Training
- 11/11/2017 - 11/12/2017
- Sheepdog Seminar- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
- 11/17/2017 - 11/18/2017
- Defensive Handgun - John Farnam
- 05/18/2018 - 05/20/2018